1. Друзья, в это тяжёлое и непонятное для всех нас время мы просим вас воздержаться от любых упоминаний политики на форуме, - этим ситуации не поможешь, а только возникнут ненужные ссоры и обиды. Это касается также шуток и юмора на тему конфликта. Пусть войны будут только виртуальными, а политики решают разногласия дипломатическим путём. С уважением, администрация Old-Games.RU.

Скрыть объявление
  2. Если Вы видите это сообщение, значит, вы ещё не зарегистрировались на нашем форуме.

Зарегистрируйтесь, если вы хотите принять участие в обсуждениях. Перед регистрацией примите к сведению:
    1. Не регистрируйтесь с никами типа asdfdadhgd, 354621 и тому подобными, не несущими смысловой нагрузки (ник должен быть читаемым!): такие пользователи будут сразу заблокированы!
    2. Не регистрируйте больше одной учётной записи. Если у вас возникли проблемы при регистрации, то вы можете воспользоваться формой обратной связи внизу страницы.
    3. Регистрируйтесь с реально существующими E-mail адресами, иначе вы не сможете завершить регистрацию.
    4. Обязательно ознакомьтесь с правилами поведения на нашем форуме, чтобы избежать дальнейших конфликтов и непонимания.
    С уважением, администрация форума Old-Games.RU
    Скрыть объявление

Pirated or illegal translation/localization for old games with examples

Тема в разделе "International Zone", создана пользователем rendensh, 1 мар 2017.

1. rendensh

rendensh

We invite you to discuss with us specifics of your situation with pirate translators in your country. Are you aware of examples where translating any game was illegal, for instance bad or poor voices (recorded at home), only capitalized fonts, wrong or nonsense text of mission? Let's do I tell about our situations?

Russia and the Ukraine. From the period of the early 1990s, but mostly in the second half of the 1990s, in our countries, there was a large number of pirate companies that translated the games, mostly from English into Russian. The best known of them were such companies and translaters as Fargus, Sedmoy volk (The Seventh Wolf), Dyad-ushka Risyouch (The Uncle Research, Risyouch sound like as Research with Russian accent), Stream, PC Boheme, GSC Game World (A company of pirates, after 2000 year became serious company which release the Stalker game in 2007).

Here you can see typical capitalized pirated fonts (Quake 2 for consoles). The information can be naturally read by natives.
    Offtop

q2лисы 2.jpg

Offtop

ed6d2e8263e2.jpg

And now, this fonts (from Quake 2 mod) is more difficult to read the letters. ЗАСТАВА СТРОГА [Zastava stroga] (Strog's Outpost) or ЗАСТАВЯ СТРОГА? [Zastavya stroga] (You Get to Do Strog Something) Missed Й from НАИДИ ВХОД (НАЙДИ ВХОД). Also fatty contours КОММУНИКАЦИОННУЮ СВЯЗЬ like IKOИМУНИКАЦИОННУЮ СВЯЗЬ (correctly КОММУНИКАЦИОННУЮ without И after O) (also wrong СВАЗЬ). And finally, missed Ё from КОРАБЛЕМ [korablyem] (correctly КОРАБЛЁМ and read as korablyom like yo from yota).

You can hear typical Russian pirate voice from Quake 2 PC by GSC Games (when they were company of pirates): https://yadi.sk/d/2DEWqcEs3EpDy8 This is translate 'Compete Update' as '[You ] received the new task' (in Russian grammar also correctly without You)

Sometimes it was wrong and incorrect translation. For instance, Sarge command from Russian pirate version of Doom 3 (Alphalabs 2): https://yadi.sk/d/r8NoU52V3EpEm3

"Soldier, [someone] told me that they have blocked your position, but you can unlock. Try to use the technical facilities and contact with the main sector three." (in Russian grammar without someone)

Blocked your position sound in Russian like 'we cannot go'. Some examples you don't understand mistakes, because in English they sound correctly, but incorrectly in Russian. This is a simple example that is still easy to translate. Sometimes were created perfect translations by pirates (high quality translation, good sound recording and natural fonts). Explained will be more difficult, because quality grammar after reverse translate into English looks neutral, or at least, not exactly the same.

Other regions. In Hungary has also been pirated translaters, for instanse recorded Hungary's voice for Half-Life at home by someone pirates: https://yadi.sk/d/W2x02z-73EpFHZ

Sorry, I did not know the Hungarian language, because I shall refrain from commenting about the quality of translation. Also, I have seen French Half-Life pirated version with recorded voice at home. And despite the fact that Sierra company has released an official translation into French. French's pirate only copy English version and fastly translate to French?

Do you known any other examples, like this? Please, post information, screenshots, audio files. These games are old, I do not think that the pirated files from them now interesting for someone. We are ready to see, hear and get some information about similar pirates from other countries and to hear your opinion about the quality of the translation, if you know the language of translation, see your screenshots. For example, Russian pirates translated text and sound (often through capitalized every character). Hungarian and French were limited only audio, without change the fonts or text, and text were English only.

Последнее редактирование: 1 мар 2017
    RobinGood, bvedargh, Dimouse и ещё 1-му нравится это.
  3. Grue13 Ocelote.12

Grue13

"Sedmoy Volk" means "The Seventh Wolf", not "The Seven Wolf".
    Also you forgot to mention such a big player as "Akella", who were pirates at first (for example, when they released a pirated version of "Full Throttle" with a pirate localization of top quality (better than many officially localized games - which was very uncommong for most pirated games)) but later shifted to legal publishing and localization.

rendensh нравится это.
  4. rendensh

rendensh

@Grue13, sometimes, at least some Akella games were not signed by logo (were produced anonymous). These companies always put his logo by box and acted openly.

5. Virgil Администратор

Virgil

Администратор

Why here and why in English?

bl00dshot нравится это.
  6. rendensh

rendensh

@Virgil, I am interested in pirated translations into languages other than Russian, and I do not think that these two pirates from Hungary and France will exception.

7. Uka

Uka

Переводчик

I'm afraid that there are not so many people from other countries visiting this forum to facilitate the proposed discussion.
    But as far as I know, it is Syria that had (has?) the leading industry of bootleg games productions. You can see some of its labels here.
    The piracy is flourished rather in underdeveloped countries, you know. Like Africa etc.

rendensh, Grongy, Dimouse и ещё 1-му нравится это.
  8. Dimouse King of Mice

Dimouse

Администратор Переводчик

I think the idea of this topic is to ask our foreign visitors of their experience with computer piracy and unofficial translations in the older days (like 80th and 90th). As far as I know there was a lot of such activity back then, even in the USA, not to mention Eastern Europe, mostly of course in sense of cracking games, not translating. Also intersting activities were illegal distributing of games (mail swapping) and meeting of people connecting to that (I remember reading about one of such kind in Budapest).

rendensh нравится это.
  9. kreol Старший офицер Чёрной Гвардии

kreol

Администратор

There were many "illegally translated" games in Hungary, but I'm afraid that almost all of those localizations are "gone" for now.

Furthermore, unofficial translation of video games is still very popular in that country. There is one interesting site, "Magyarítások Portál" (www.magyaritasok.hu; "magyarítások" (roughly) means "hungarization"), where all localizations were made "just for fun".

rendensh и Dimouse нравится это.
  10. Uka

Uka

Переводчик

Well, if the topic is dedicated to unofficial translations and not to the industry of bootleg video games production, then it is very broad indeed.

As, you see, 'unofficial translations' rather mean all those fan-made translations created not only in Eastern Europe or Hungary, but in Italy, Germany, Spain etc. etc. Even the game translations made and published by Old-Games.ru are completely unofficial - thus, they are truly illegal, as nobody had authorised @Dimouse and other our colleagues to translate 'Alley Cat' or 'Maniac Mansion' ;)

rendensh и Dimouse нравится это.
  11. Bart Gamer

Bart Gamer

One good thing is that there is basically no point in pirating games nowadays. I bought Skyrim for 5$, for example.

12. rusty_dragon

rusty_dragon

Do you have for us some stories about pirate game translations and releases in Poland back in the day? B)

13. Terje_P

Terje_P

Последнее редактирование: 2 авг 2021
    rusty_dragon, Uka и Dimouse нравится это.
  14. Terje_P

Terje_P

You would need a telegram account to access the downloads, but here you can find games dubbed in Persian (Iranian), or Persian only games. Many of the Persian only games are either Total conversions or amatuer/indie games in general.

Hope it is okay to post the link despite there being a few newer titles there.
    دانلود بازی های دوبله فارسی و بازی های ایرانی

This change happened recently as before they had a invite only system to acess the downloads, aside from a few archive.org links.

Keep in mind that many of the downloads may contain malicious files or extra junk.

Последнее редактирование: 30 сен 2021
    bvedargh, kreol и Uka нравится это.
  15. Riemann80

Riemann80

16. Grongy зе мост бэдэсс мазафака он зе плэнет

Grongy

Хелпер Переводчик

Considering the year 1996 as the release date, it might be just the early fan translation, not necessarily the pirated one, made for the thousands of copies for sale. In 1993 two Dutch fans translated the MSX version of the SD Snatcher game - a Japanese-exclusive game for the Japanese computer was translated into English, which is funny, because MSX was almost unknown in the English-speaking countries. :) Also there were instances of German computer games being translated into Russian in the late 90's by pirate translation teams, as far as I'm concerned.

Последнее редактирование: 4 окт 2021
  17. Terje_P

Terje_P

Последнее редактирование: 6 фев 2022
    rusty_dragon, Uka и kreol нравится это.
  18. Terje_P

Terje_P

1. На этом сайте используются файлы cookie, чтобы персонализировать содержимое, хранить Ваши предпочтения и держать Вас авторизованным в системе, если Вы зарегистрировались.
    Продолжая пользоваться данным сайтом, Вы соглашаетесь на использование нами Ваших файлов cookie.
    Скрыть объявление